Sunday, March 8, 2015

How to Process A Work Permit in Thailand

A Work Permit is required for you to work legally in Thailand. Most of the foreign people here are working as English Language Teachers and this article will guide you on how to get a work permit.

Work Permit in Thailand

First, you should have secure the following below:

1. A valid Passport original and copy of NON-B VISA stamp page, front page, and the arrival card page
2. Application Form WP. 1
3. 3,000 Baht for the work permit fee
4. 100 Baht for the processing fee
5. 3 pcs. Passport size pictures (3x4 cm)
6. Medical Certificate from a registered Clinic or Hospital in Thailand that is not more than 1 month from the issued date and indicating that there is no syphilis level 3.
7.  A teaching license or exemption letter
8. Employment certification
9. A Letter to the Labor Department from your school or agency
10. A copy of Diploma
11. Other Authorization Papers from the school or the agency

After securing all of these, you can go to the Ministry of Labor to apply for a work permit. The Thai name of Ministry of Labor is pronounced as KAAHSUWANG RENG NGAAN and you can take a Taxi from Victory Monument going there. The fare costs only from 45-60 Baht. It is more convenient and safe than taking a BUS.

When you're already at the entrance gate, go straight until you find the Labor Department building. The office is located on the 2nd Floor. Please use the long stairs going up there. You should get a queue number from the queueing machine for applying a work permit. When your number is called, please present to the officer all of your documents and give only the 100 baht fee. If there's no problem, you will be able to get a receipt for your 100 baht and a CLAIM slip of your work permit.

Please read all the information written on your claim slip. Usually, you will see there the date of your schedule to pick up personally your work permit together with your passport, 3,000 Baht for the WP fee and the claim slip.

On the day of your schedule to pick up the work permit, get a queue number again. When you're number is called, present the CLAIM slip with your passport. The agent will give you your WORK PERMIT to write your SIGNATURE, then after that, you will have to pay the fee to the cashier in the extreme left of the office. After paying, present the receipt back to agent and he will give you your work permit. Please secure your work permit at all times.

Hope you find this article helpful. For any questions and comments, please try to leave it in the comment section below.

For how to apply for Non-B Visa, click here.
For how to apply for Extension of Non-B, click here.


  1. Requirement no. 7, what is Exemption letter?

  2. Miles, TOEIC is required for NON-B VISA and the Exemption letter is also called a temporary license.

  3. I had my Non-b visa already but I don't have the Toeic. Immigration didn't ask me for that.

  4. Where can I get an exemption letter? Thanks

  5. Sir what are the documents for the Non-B visa?